Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea 3.0.1 (192)

dave1707dave1707 Mod
edited January 6 in Beta Posts: 8,625

@Simeon I didn’t realize that release 188 was going to expire in a few minutes. When you said the new project picker in 189 was broken, I thought it was something special that didn’t work. I didn’t think it was totally broken to the point that you can’t create any new projects. I’m now back on release 187.

PS. I guess new projects can be created by duplicating other projects and giving them new names. Going back to release 189.

PSS. Back on 189 and found out you can’t even duplicate a project. Going back to version 187.

Comments

Me too!
    @Simeon what new features are you prioritising in 2020?

@Simeon - afraid I’m also going back to 187, most of my active projects have issues in them so not easy to test unless I can create files. Can you load a template as a zip?

Also, would love to know what is in the pipeline.

@Simeon - aaaarggghhhh - only build I have in previous builds is 189. Am I missing something?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G To load 187, go to the App Store and find the latest version of Codea there.

@dave1707 - oops, sorry too much Xmas boos

@dave1707 - thanks, but sure TestFlight had several previous betas listed before?
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G There we’re several betas before at one time, but as they expire (after 90 days) they’re removed from the list. I guess Simeon put 189 out before it was ready because the previous beta expired.

• edited January 2 Posts: 1,840

@dave1707 - thanks again for the info, must say I find that a bit disappointing. I would prefer a list of all previous betas with dates for launch and closure together with accessibility (active/non-active with links if relevant). If the developers comments were also added it would be a neat history reference.

Edit: I know the forum roadmap holds most of this information.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

I'm really sorry about the broken beta. It was New Years and the beta was expiring and I kind of put what I was in the middle of doing out as the new beta.

I'm fixing it up now, thanks for your patience on this

@Simeon - no probs, back on 187. Hope you had a good xmas and happy new year.

p.s. hope you guys well away from the fires!!!
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

Version 190.

@Simeon,

Everything seems to work OK.

The Add New Project now works again. Same way with the template.

Created a Templates folder using the Files app and added a default project in it. Back in Codea, my default project was there to be selected. I was able to create a new project using my default project.

Nice! Probably need the possibility to cancel creating the project in the case one changes ones mind about doing so.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@piinthesky When creating a new project, pressing the X clears the name and tapping in an unused area of the screen cancels the new project. Is that what you’re after.

@Simeon - yahoo, thanks for the update, running 190 now. First impressions editor seems a bit slicker, last version seemed to ‘stutter’ when loading new or existing files.

Also template options is great. Just loaded one with second tab and dependencies present and they were retained. Makes my starting point more consistent, adds my usual functions and variables so makes starting new projects slicker.

@dave1707 ahh didn't realise touching elsewhere closed the dialog box

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited January 5 Posts: 8,625

Version 191

Rename works.
    Moving a project to the Templates folder works.

No problems found so far.

PS. Just a note, the Templates folder doesn’t need to be created first. The Make Template option will create the folder if it doesn’t exist.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    @dave1707 thank you for testing those things so quickly. I've submitted this version to Apple as the release version of 3.0.1

@Simeon - installed 192 and tested blendMode - not too familiar with this so just set up a basic simple project, image below. Bottom left (NORMAL) seemed OK and upper (multiplicative) one also looked probable - very dark. But bottom right (ADDITIVE) didn’t quite look right with overlap. Then again not sure what to expect.

Also they also seemed to interact with the background - multiplicative seems to show better if you change the background. Is that expected?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G blendMode is not actually new (there's an example project with it), blendEquation is the new function and it is a little complex but it actually modifies the operator used by the blendMode function

Multiplicative would generally make things darker and additive will make things lighter with the standard blendMode function.

@Simeon - thanks for the feedback. I note the selection prompts have blendEquation present and you can paste it into your code. I assume it gives you the ability to use the variable definitions within OpenGL to produce a greater range of effects than in the current blendMode - could you give us an example of it’s use? Is it for exclusive use in shaders?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited January 7 Posts: 5,417

@Bri_G actually @John added this function to the runtime for use inside Shade so I might defer to him on how it can be used

We just made sure to document it and exposed it in regular Codea too, but I imagine you could simulate a larger range of blend modes, like what's available in Photoshop and other painting apps

• edited January 7 Posts: 562

@Simeon i notice something funny with the way the model assets are handled. If i use craft.model() to view my model assets, they seem to appear in the Documents folder, although i am pretty sure they are actually in the Project folder (at least i have the prefix Project in front of the file name).

If a model is not found in the Project folder will Codea then look Documents folder?

Generally i find the interface for viewing the assets of a project rather awkward. We should be able to manipulate the assets of a project without having to press on Image(), craft.Model() etc. in the code.

• edited January 7 Posts: 562

Can someone remind me how to load a zipped project back into Codea. I have the zipped project in my icloud. When i long press on it i only see the option to uncompress. Didn't it use to be 'open in Codea' or something like that? Is it documented in the wiki?

@piinthesky - when you long press on a zipped file it should open the IOS commonly dialogue which allows you to share files leading to the used/related dialogue in which you can scroll horizontally the project icons iOS thinks you need/use frequently. There is also a drop down smaller icons for other frequently used options.

Only problem is that Codea is not often found there - especially since the introduction of iOS 13.

Recently I have had problems myself when opening a zip and selecting Codea the Codea dialogue has opened giving you the option of files to extract - but there are no files present to select.

On the obj model front I see 3D objects in the Documents folder which is the root folder for Codea.

@Bri_G funny i don't get the file sharing dialog anymore-even on some old zip files which i had successfully unzipped into codea in the past-weird.

Don't you think the models should also be in the project folder-i am pretty sure i copied my needed models from documents to the project folder awhile ago, but now i don't see how i did that (or perhaps my memory is failing!)

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@piinthesky I just did a project to zip backup to try it. When the project export was done, I saved it to a folder in the Dropbox app. From there, I tapped on the 3 dots next to the file name and selected export. It gave me an option to Copy to Codea. I selected that and it eventually opened Codea with a pop up that listed all the projects so I could select which one to import. I haven’t tried a backup from the iCloud yet. I’ll give that a try.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@piinthesky Heres how I did a restore from a Codea zip file from the iCloud.

1). Find the page containing the zip file in the iCloud.
    2). Tap Select in the upper right of the screen.
    3). Tap the zip file to select it.
    4). Tap Share in the lower left of the screen.
    5). A pop up should show.
    6). Tap Open in Codea.
    7). A pop up will open in Codea to give you the option to select a file to import.

• edited January 8 Posts: 562

@dave1707 ahhh, i think it is because i was trying to do things from the Files app. If i do it from the dropbox app i do get the sharing option to Codea for some zip files i have in dropbox.The same files in Files don't give the option. Somehow codea works better with dropbox than Files!

@dave1707 ok, yes your icloud prescription works- a bit long winded but it works!
    Thanks-i thought i was going crazy for awhile there!

@Simeon when i open my unzipped project on my iphone I cannot see my 3D model assets in the documents folder (and there is no Project folder displayed),
    Nevertheless the models do load and the project runs.

@dave1707 the uncompress option in Files actually seems to work! I thought it didn't, but i had a bug in my code.

• edited January 11 Posts: 1,840

@Simeon - had a real funny experience today - running latest beta and it started having problems just printing up an image on screen. Read a png into a variable with readImage()and the tried to sprite it in centre screen. Did not recognise existence of image . Tried different images from Documents and still not happening. Used spriteSize() to read image size after loading in setup() and it could see the image there. Dropped out of Codea and re-ran. Still same problem. Then thought I would delete it. Searched for Codea icon on tablet pages and it wasn’t there. But it was present on the icon bar. Re-installed 3.01 (192) and it installed OK but there was still no icon on the pages - just on the icon bar. Have you seen this before?

@Simeon - this gets worse, just suddenly had a notification page flash up for 193 so I tapped on it to proceed. Page disappeared but nothing happened and 192 is the last, and only, entry in TestFlight.

@Simeon - partially resolved problem, image problem due to clash in naming - old subroutine contained duplicate name so fired up an error. Definitions in setup() were OK but exposure beyond gave rise to clash of names/variables.
    Have you issued 193 yet?

• edited February 1 Posts: 1,840
    @Simeon - had a couple of issues recently when moving tabs - whilst dragging the tab to the left I dragged it below the tab bar, not enough to get the delete menu option, and then closed my pad cover up. My pad cover has a magnetic link for closing down iOS. After re-opening the tab the iOS desktop came up with an error that Codea had crashed. Seen this twice but can not easily reproduce it.

Not a major issue but a little annoying. On return my edits had been lost. Also - think I have mentioned this before, some of tje desktop animations when selecting avproject to open seem to stall during the opening of the project.

@Simeon - recently had a couple of problems with the color selector. I select a color in the outer ring then try to select the shade from the central section but I don’t have time to touch the selector as it disappears. When it happens it’s usually when it’s close to the keyboard. May happen a few time’s before I manage to select a color.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G I tried the color wheel and I’m not having any trouble at all. The color wheel displays until I tap the screen somewhere. Is it possible you’re touching the screen with another finger when you’re trying for the center area.

I have a problem when I’m in the editor keying things. I’ll be typing along when I notice I’m adding code someplace else in the editor because I touched the screen when I missed a key in the top row.

• edited February 2 Posts: 1,840

@dave1707 - you could be right - I have found links embedded in my code and put it down to a random touch. Next time it happens I'll see if there is any possibility of random touch.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 I've had one other report about touches passing through the top row, will look into this

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I don’t know if it’s passing thru the keys in the top row or maybe the touch area isn’t large enough to cover the whole key. I could be touching near the edge of the key.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited February 3 Posts: 8,625

@Simeon I was playing around tapping keys on the top row and keys on the next row down. Every now and then the cursor would move near the bottom of the screen. I think what’s happening is the touch area for the keys doesn’t cover the whole area between the keys. If you happen to touch the right spot between the keys the cursor moves to that level on the screen or the bottom of the text if the text doesn’t go all the way down the screen.

PS. I was tapping around the double arrows, =, o, and p keys and I could get the cursor to move down.

@Simeon - been very frustrated recently with an iOS feature. Just checking to see if you can turn it off on an individual app basis. It’s the ability to drag your screen off from the left or right and view other app or app list. Sometimes I work on a project which means I use a moving touch near the boundaries and drag out the other windows. Is it possible to have a system criteria variable which you can activate in setup to prevent sliding windows? You could have a default switch back on when the running project is stopped i.e. pressing the stop arrow in the bottom left hand corner.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G this is what allows you to close apps when you slide up from the bottom of the screen?

There is an API to prevent this, I'll put it on my list to expose in Codea

@Simeon hey couldn’t find if you talked about it already but any plan to let the possibility to create a folder via code? Doing such, it would be interesting and would let the possibility to work with code versions etc

@Simeon - that would be great, makes development a lot more robust. Thanks.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Is there a way to split screen 2 Codea editor sessions. If not can Codea be made to do it.

@Simeon - think I have encountered a couple of problems -

Firstly I think I’ve reached a capacity limit - the current project was locking up after running and dropping back into the editor. Then Codea crashed after several minutes. I think it is the number of projects Inhave on my pad, mentioned this before and will tidy and report on progress.

Whilst preparing to clean up set the archiving in operation and when it came back with the dialogue window, after compilation the window had the two option buttons and below it some text which was partially obscured couldn’t read it.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G How many projects do you have.

@dave1707 - after further checks I don’t think it is down to the number of files. I duplicated a file and it ran without crashing. Which makes me think that it is down to the code I was playing with at the time. I was reading the articles from @RonJeffries and cutting and pasting code, from the small routines that were listed building up and changing them following Ron’s direction. I think running the code in-between edits, without digesting and making any needed adjustments, could be the problem. I’ll start again with it to see if I can reproduce it. Could be down to a Craft bug.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G I was also playing around with Ron’s code and didn’t run into any serious problems. Just missing functions that I needed to include.