Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don’t it hurt to abandon a project? ...unfinished LivePositioner project here.

in General Posts: 1,295

For what it’s worth, this project allows you to use any and all of the builtin models to create and save a 3D scene.

It loads with an (unfinished) scene of spaceships attacking a pirate ship crewed by people, monsters, and robots, plus a big spider monster attacking a castle.

I was working for a long time on this but it looks like it’s going to be obsoleted by the new scene maker in Codea 4:

https://codea.io/talk/discussion/11782/when-is-codea-4-coming

That looks like a fantastic tool, and I can’t wait to play with it, and I’m super glad it’s coming, and also, of course, it’s way better than what I was making.

I learned a ton making this, so I can’t say it was wasted effort exactly, but it is a little sad to stop before it’s finished—still, for anyone interested, here’s how far I got.

Comments

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    That looks like an amazing project. Codea 4 will not be compatible with Codea 3 projects, and it won't be ready for some time, so I think there is a lot of value in what you have built

@Simeon @UberGoober - this demo (LivePositioner) crashed Codea v287 when I was trying to position the models by using thumb and finger touches to move them. Hadn’t done anything else before that.

There is debate over who first said that work is never finished, only abandoned. It is often attributed to DaVinci. Whoever first said it, many have echoed it.

One nice thing about working always from something shippable, playable, usable, is that when we do abandon it, for a while or forever, there's a bit of good in the world that wasn't there before. That said, we're most of us here for fun, and when it comes to fun, I think we do best to wander to whatever catches our eye.

• edited July 28 Posts: 2,364
    @UberGoober - think the crash may have been a result of the touch control. Did you modify that for the demo?

Will have another play with the demo and stick to your parameter controllers - keen to see what you have incorporated into this demo - may give a few ideas for one of my own.

p.s. I don't like abandoning projects but I have a pad full of half filled projects. As I learn more I go back to see if I can finish them - I don't like investing time into a project and abandoning it.
    @Bri_G there aren’t any touch-positioning controls, that’s a thing I was hoping to get to. Touches should only affects the camera.

@Simeon thanks for those kind words.

Maybe I’ve had my head in the sand but this is the first I’ve heard of Codea 4 just flat-out not being compatible with Codea 3. So all current projects will have to be rebuilt from scratch?
  • edited July 29 Posts: 2,364
    @Simeon - picking up on @UberGoober 's point; in what way do you mean incompatible? I assumed that the Lua engine would be retained and a few Codea specific commands (graphics, sound, shaders etc) may have to be modified in any transfer between systems. Could you give us a few clues on this?
    @UberGoober @Simeon I hope not - that would be hugely disappointing.
    @Bri_G are you still having touch problems? It doesn’t crash at all when I touch it.
  • edited July 29 Posts: 2,364

@UberGoober - it’s not so much touch as the zoom in function using finger and thumb spreading them. It could be to do with memory as the action described may build up a lot of touch entries to the tables involved. On top of the models, textures and code that may have pushed this over the limit. How many models can you add in this demo?

Anyone got any diagnostics for determining allocated memory, graphics memory, audio memory and free memory - could be useful?

Edit: you included OrbitViewer from @John which, I think enables the touch for the camera.

@Bri_G

On my iPhone 8 I can pinch, spread, and swipe as much as I want and I don’t get a crash. Do you get an error message? What device are you on?
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G @UberGoober No matter what I did, zoomed in, zoomed out, it didn’t crash for me. iPad Air 3rd gen 64GB.

@dave1707 - can't remember the exact details of what I was doing but - I was using my thumb and finger to zoom in but was also scrolling it around to move into the building at the back left to get a better view of it. It crashed on me twice. @Simeon, on one occasion I posted the error message from Apple that pops up - did you find the cause?

@Bri_G to answer your other question, there’s no hard-coded limit on the number of models you can have.
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited July 30 Posts: 5,705

@Bri_G @UberGoober @West

Codea 4 will use Lua, and will provide many of the same conventions (setup(), draw(), touched(touch) etc). However in terms of API the underlying engine is a complete re-write, and so some legacy API is no longer necessary or relevant

Stuff like mesh will be gone, although equivalent functionality will be possible. Old-style Codea GLSL shaders (Shader Lab) will no longer be supported, as we are no longer using OpenGL

2D graphics rendering will get an overhaul with better vector drawing, paths, lines, gradients, etc. Better anti-aliasing and and more consistent rendering

3D graphics rendering will be brought out of Craft and be made a first-class process within the API. There will be the concept of "scenes" (3D files that you can edit visually, attach code in-line, refer to them from your regular Codea Lua files, etc). But 3D graphics will also support "immediate" mode drawing just like sprites and other primitives, so you could drop them in your draw() call instead of having to use a scene

The voxel API from Craft may be dropped rather than ported (at least initially), as it is a fairly niche feature. Though we really like it

There's a couple of paths we are exploring:

1. Replace Codea 3 with Codea 4 on the App Store. Provide some wrappers that mimic the old 3.x behaviour when you run old projects (e.g., a mesh() wrapper).
    2. Release Codea 4 as a new app and maintain Codea 3.x for a little while
    3. Replace Codea 3 with Codea 4 on the App Store but include both the old (OpenGL) and new (Metal) runtimes. Old projects open in "legacy" mode and can be updated over time, new projects use the new API only. Legacy projects will not be supported on macOS (as there is no OpenGL support)

I like (2) because it's the cleanest option available, it allows us to trim the code and keep things separate. (3) isn't too bad as we could keep legacy support for a little while before dropping it, but it's more effort. (1) is probably going to have issues we don't foresee when trying to mimic old behaviour with an API wrapper

(Edit: also while (3) is a nice option, the code bloat translates to a larger app, slower load time, and larger surface area for bugs)

@Simeon - thanks for the feedback, all sounds pretty exciting. My thoughts on way forward - I would agree with you on 2, but the wrappers to enable retro Codea sound inviting. Is there any way the Codea community could help with those? I've used Love-Codea so I can run Codea projects on my PC or Mac with some success.

Thanks again and hope you get a smooth run to the launch.
    @Simeon I like (3) for having the least impact on current projects.

But I think the user should have to choose which mode the app *boots up in*.

That way you never see old projects and new projects side-by-side.

And you can’t switch between runtimes without a complete reboot.

And there’s much less confusion over which features are and aren’t available in each mode.
    @Simeon - does Apple allow you to run more than 1 version in the system ie 3 and 4?
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I would go with option #2. Bite the bullet and keep the code clean and small. Even though I have hundreds of projects, none of them are worth stopping progress. Any project that’s worth anything I’ll covert if it needs it.

@dave1707 I got to say speak for yourself there.

Not everybody writes one-tab projects in one sitting while they’re watching TV—in fact almost all of us don’t.

You’re a genius to be able to do that, but please don’t throw the rest of us under the bus because it wouldn’t affect *you*.
    @Simeon i’ve also got to point out that many of us might feel like it’s pointless to continue working in Codea *right now* if we know it’s all going to be flushed down the toilet in the next version.
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@UberGoober I’m not throwing anyone under the bus and I’m not saying it won’t affect me. @Simeon asked what option we preferred. I preferred 2, you preferred 3. Will Simeon pick 2 because I preferred it, no. He’s going to do what he thinks is best for the continuation of Codea. If I have to convert projects because they don’t work in the newer version, I will or won’t depending if they’re important to me or not.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Would there be a way to keep both versions of Codea. Have a latest version 3 that would no longer be updated, but can be loaded on the iPad, iPhone like normal along with version 4 that goes forward with updates. That way all the old projects can be run on version 3 or copied to version 4 and updated if required. There would be a Codea 3 app and a Codea 4 app. Codea 3 would no longer be updated but continue to work until it wouldn’t run anymore on newer iPads.

That would be similar to iLuaBox Pro that I still run on my iPad 1. It’s been dead on the App Store for many, many years, but as long as I don’t delete it from the iPad it’s still as good as it was on it’s last update.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited July 31 Posts: 5,705

@dave1707 that would be option (2). Keep Codea 3 on the App Store, and release Codea 4 as a new app. Codea 3 could continue to get bug fixes. Eventually, once everyone has migrated their code, Codea 3 can be removed from the store

@UberGoober the API will be largely the same so it certainly isn't all being flushed down the toilet. It's more about the immediate impact of upgrading — i.e., I don't want to release an update to Codea that requires migration to all your existing code (even if they are minor changes) before you can run your projects. I don't think option (2) would be bad for you: you can still load into Codea 3 to access and run your projects, and you can copy them into Codea 4 and migrate them at your own pace

So just to be clear under option (2) Codea 3.x would remain on the store, perhaps with a notice "Do not purchase this, it has been replaced by Codea 4", have its icon changed to a "legacy" icon, but continue to receive bug fix updates for six months or more. And it could be run side-by-side with Codea 4

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited July 31 Posts: 9,444

@Simeon I was thinking that Codea 3 could stay out there until it would no longer work on any iPad/iPhone because of hardware/software requirements. It would be accessible to anyone with Codea that wanted to still run Codea 3. It wouldn’t be updated after a certain point, but just left to die a natural death like other old apps. Hopefully by then everyone would be using Codea 4 and not miss Codea 3.

@Simeon I guess my suggestion (dual booting?) would be functionally very similar to option 2, I personally would just like having fewer apps to keep track of :)

@Simeon thanks outlining the possible ways forward. Option 2 makes sense in terms of an application but will probably have the biggest impact in terms of this forum as a resource with the wealth of examples which have been built over many years. There will be the current active user base who will likely embrace the transition but the entry point for new users (in terms of support and examples) will need thought. Will Codea 4 still be called Codea? Who is your market for version 4? What will the "typical” Codea user look like and want to get out of Codea?

@West - good points about the transition. But hopefully the current support will be busy transferring code and new users will be able to pick up on it. Most of the old code won't work directly but forum members would be there to plug the gap. Also we need a WebRepo for anything transferred that authors are willing to donate to the rest of the members. May go quiet for a while whilst regular users catch up and learn about 4.
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 the only problem I have leaving Codea 3 on the App Store is that I don't want people to accidentally purchase it when Codea 4 is available. Perhaps it can be removed from sale but still made available to those who want to re-download it from their purchases list

@West I am not sure what a typical Codea user looks like, we have just been building it because we like it

It will be similar enough that it will still be called Codea. Good point about the forums, perhaps we will use the update to transition to a new discussion platform — something with much better spam prevention hopefully

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited July 31 Posts: 9,444

@Simeon Thats kind of what I had in mind. Codea 3 wouldn’t be for sale, but still available to Codea 4 users. Like on TestFlight where we can download previous versions of Codea but be able to have both Codea 3 and Codea 4 on an iPad/iPhone.

• edited July 31 Posts: 172
    While option 3) is more effort I think it’s the right path to take. It would simplify a few things for you regarding trying to maintain multiple Apps, and provide the support that every one who uses Codea would need.
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@skar @Simeon There wouldn’t be multiple apps to maintain. Once Codea 4 is available, that would be the end of updates for Codea 3. It would be there for Codea 4 users to use as is, but without anymore updates.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@skar I guess the biggest problem I have with (3) is that we would be shipping tens (or hundreds?) of thousands of lines of code more than we need to. We would also have to maintain a legacy project format, a different UI for loading legacy projects that locks out new features, and ability to migrate a legacy project to a new project

We kind of get all that "for free" by keeping Codea 3 on the App Store, where you can migrate your project when you're ready by dragging it into Codea 4 in the Files app and working on it from there, while keeping Codea 4 slimmer and more focused

Personally, I like (1) and (2) the most. From what I've seen, the update is by far the biggest Codea has recevied as of yet, so I feel it's a fair choice to release Codea 4 as a new app. I'm quite worried about how much of the compatibility will be broken, though, as my project relies heavily on mesh and shaders. From that standpoint alone, I think it would be good to have two separate spaces.

However, providing wrappers e.g. for mesh would really really help and make the transition smoother. Otherwise, migrating larger projects will be needlessly difficult/frustrating. Especially if you are short of time, it's frustrating to rewrite code that already used to work.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Elias yes I think we would be providing wrappers for legacy Codea functionality. Something like a legacy module where you can redefine mesh by using

mesh = legacy.mesh

Or something like that. These would be written in Lua and we could make the code editable and part of Codea 4

Hopefully no one minds if I refer back to OT for a moment: would anybody be interested in me finishing this?

It was heartening to see @Simeon write that it seemed useful.

Right now I’m just chopping up the pieces and posting them as individual tools (it’s improving the code a lot actually).