Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea Web Server (Also on WebRepo)

2»

Comments

could the problem be that short timeout?

That fix worked for me too.

@RonJeffries If you have 'Working Copy' you can also view them there.

@dave1707 I'm glad that helped! Let me know if this helps you too @UberGoober :smile:

The .codea files are just plain old folders (not zip files) but iOS treats any folder with an extension like a file (sometimes unhelpfully).

On Mac it at least has an option to 'View Contents' of these bundle folders... iOS could do with it too.
    @Steppers hi noted just above your previous message that the fix worked for me too, but I am repeating that now in case it got lost in the shuffle.

The web server works now, and the debugger works now too.I’m not super clear on what’s happening here, I have to admit, but I agree it looks promising.

debugger? there's a debugger in there? how do I invoke that? thanks!

…maybe I’m missing something, but the title of the post includes “debug server”, at least presently. Am I misunderstanding the meaning of that?

@UberGoober @RonJeffries There's another project on WebRepo, 'Debug Server'.

It only really provides the same functionality as the parameter.watch stuff at the moment but it's a start.

Note: You'll probably have to use that loop fix again for it.

And on a related note, I've got a lot of advanced stuff in the works now. Server side scripting akin to PHP, Multiple Client handling & websockets so I expect things to get pretty spicy soon :smile:

I made a slightly more interactive version of the Debugger.

It tracks taps and increments a “tap” variable every time a touch ends.

Also, @Steppers: I gave it a generic icon that I sometimes use for my own utilities; maybe it could be a standard icon for library-type projects? (image attached too)

A sneak peak, code needs a little tidying up but WebSockets are working!

teaser

@UberGoober Nice, I actually have a few already included in the WebRepo project that are just unicode/emoji and rendered out (also attached).

Nice, are you planning on automatically putting them on library projects without icons?

It seems to me that games and apps don’t need a default icon because icons made from screenshots are better, but library projects often have nothing to show visually and it would be handy to have a default icon for them.
    @UberGoober Yes, I expect so. I think I'd like to enforce user icons for app & game projects but libraries often don't have anything worth using as an icon.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 421

I’ve made various improvements in this version.

• The API is now far easier to use.
    • WebSockets are now supported
    • Server-side Lua embedded in HTML files are also supported
    • Various improvements to overall functionality.

Basic usage to serve a static site from a folder in Codea’s documents folder is:

function setup()
        WebServer(asset.documents.my_site)
    end

This serves all content in the my_site folder at port 80 (default for browsers).

WebServer.zip contains the slimmed-down Library project that provides full documentation when connected to from a browser!

WebServerDemo.zip contains a more comprehensive example of the supported features (as well as the documentation).

Also available on WebRepo!

• edited November 2021 Posts: 421

Documentation is available here