Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Instance variables, and overriding superclass functions

edited October 2012 in Questions Posts: 6

Hi

I'm new to Codea, and Lua... but I am really enjoying it.

I have a question about inheritance.

I want to create a class that encapsulates a physics body, and draws a sprite where the body is. To do this, I created a base class, which includes a string for the desired sprite.

The problem is that if I create two objects, each from a different subclass the sprite string always changes to that of the last object that was instantiated.

Block base class

Block = class()

body = nil
srcSprite = nil

function Block:init(x, y, w, h, aSprite)
    self.body = physics.body(POLYGON, vec2(0,0), vec2(0,h), vec2(w,h), vec2(w,0))
    self.body.x = x
    self.body.y = y
    self.type = STATIC
    srcSprite = aSprite
end

function Block:draw()
    pushMatrix()
    translate(self.body.x, self.body.y)
    sprite(srcSprite, 0, 0)
    popMatrix()
end

Subclass 1

WoodBlock = class(Block)

function WoodBlock:init(x, y, w, h)
    -- you can accept and set parameters here
    Block.init(self, x, y, w, h, "Planet Cute:Wood Block")
end

function WoodBlock:draw()
    Block.draw(self)
end

Subclass 2

GrassBlock = class(Block)

function GrassBlock:init(x, y, w, h)
    -- you can accept and set parameters here
    Block.init(self, x, y, w, h, "Planet Cute:Grass Block")
end

function GrassBlock:draw()
    Block.draw(self)
end

Main

supportedOrientations(LANDSCAPE_ANY)

woodBlock = nil
grassBlock=nil

function setup()
    woodBlock = WoodBlock(0, 0, 101, 160)
    grassBlock = GrassBlock(400, 0, 101, 160)
end

function draw()
    woodBlock:draw()
    grassBlock:draw()
end

Both blocks will show the second image (grass). If I switch the order in setup(), they both show the wood sprite.

Please help.

Comments

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited October 2012 Posts: 5,387

Your Block base class needs to store its members on its table, rather than globally.

Note that srcSprite is moved to self.srcSprite

Block = class()

function Block:init(x, y, w, h, aSprite)
        self.body = physics.body(POLYGON, vec2(0,0), vec2(0,h), vec2(w,h), vec2(w,0))
        self.body.x = x
        self.body.y = y
        self.type = STATIC
        self.srcSprite = aSprite
    end

function Block:draw()
        pushMatrix()
        translate(self.body.x, self.body.y)
        sprite(self.srcSprite, 0, 0)
        popMatrix()
    end

The behaviour you were seeing had the last-instantiated class overwriting the srcSprite global variable.

Of course (feels dumb now). Too obvious! Thank you. :-)

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@nomore

See the changes and additions I made. (changed) (added)

Block = class() body = nil srcSprite = nil function Block:init(x, y, w, h, aSprite)     self.body = physics.body(POLYGON, vec2(0,0), vec2(0,h), vec2(w,h), vec2(w,0))     self.body.x = x     self.body.y = y     self.body.type = STATIC    -- changed     self.srcSprite = aSprite    -- changed end function Block:draw()     pushMatrix()     translate(self.body.x, self.body.y)     sprite(self.srcSprite, 0, 0)    --changed     popMatrix() end --Subclass 1 WoodBlock = class(Block) function WoodBlock:init(x, y, w, h)     -- you can accept and set parameters here     Block.init(self, x, y, w, h, "Planet Cute:Wood Block") end function WoodBlock:draw()     Block.draw(self) end --Subclass 2 GrassBlock = class(Block) function GrassBlock:init(x, y, w, h)     -- you can accept and set parameters here     Block.init(self, x, y, w, h, "Planet Cute:Grass Block") end function GrassBlock:draw()     Block.draw(self) end --Main supportedOrientations(LANDSCAPE_ANY) woodBlock = nil grassBlock=nil function setup()     woodBlock = WoodBlock(100, 0, 101, 160)    -- changed     grassBlock = GrassBlock(400, 0, 101, 160) end function draw()     background(40,40,50)    --added     woodBlock:draw()     grassBlock:draw() end

@dave1701. Thanks for the clarifications.

This may be obvious, but unless you need to take additional steps, the WoodBlock:draw() and GrassBlock:draw() functions aren't needed.