Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta 1.5.5(5)

BriarfoxBriarfox Mod
edited August 2013 in Beta Posts: 1,542

I figured this would be the place to compile info on openURL() stopping the draw() function from resuming on close.

This may relate to the amount of data being transferred. If you browse for a bit, then close openUrl, draw will not continue. To test this I placed the codea icon in the center of the screen. If it stops drawing, then the screen goes black. I can replicate this fairly often but in some tests I can go awhile without an issue.

Sometimes if you close and run the project again, it will be fixed. However, I usually must close codea.

After the draw stops and you open another app, the app will ghost behind codea upon returning to codea. This happens both while the project is running and while in the code editor. This is fixed by clearing codea from memory and restarting.

I used this project to duplicate the issue:

function setup()
   parameter.action("url",function() openURL("http://www.google.com",true) end)
end

function draw()
        background(255, 255, 255, 255)
        sprite("Cargo Bot:Codea Icon",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2)
end

I will keep playing with this to see if I can narrow down what's causing it.

Comments

• Unfortunately this build did not solve my stability issues :( After about 5-10 minutes of hacking around and running my programs the text editor goes wacky, (large chunks of text start disappearing completely or getting corrupted) and usually takes a close and restart to fix. If I don't restart, the app will usually crash. Not that I usually get that far, since the fear of losing work once the editor goes on the fritz compels me to restart the app immediately. I'm on an iPad 4 with 6.1 if that makes a difference.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Is this problem due to new beta 1.5.5 branch? I am still under 1.5.4 and i dont see such stability problems. However, i do see the editor starting to get lost after many hours.

• @Jmv38: no, I had this problem in 1.5.4 as well. Honestly I'm not sure exactly which build I began to notice it.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@toadkick are you using a http.request that has a callback?

• edited September 2013 Posts: 580

@Simeon: no :( I'm aware of that issue, but unfortunately that's not the problem in my case.

@toadkick I see these problems still with long lines of text. If I work in portrait mode and line break the text before it runs to the next line, my stability seems to be greatly improved. YMMV.

• @Mark: I try to keep my lines short enough to fit in portrait mode, but there probably are a few I missed since I usually code in landscape with my keyboard. I'm thinking long files might be part of the cause also, though I generally try to keep my files less that 500-600 lines.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@toadkick I have fixed some issues with the editor and hopefully it helps with your issues. I will send out 1.5.5 (6) shortly.

Out of curiosity, @toadkick, are you switching between projects often? (Perhaps a dependency and your main project?) The bugs I fixed relate mostly to this scenario.

• edited September 2013 Posts: 580

@Simeon: Actually yeah, I'm switching between 2 projects somewhat frequently. Looking forward to the next build, thanks!

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@toadkick new build is out. Please let me know if it helps with your issues.

• Thanks @Simeon! I'll get back to you tomorrow with an update.

@Simeon At first glance, I seem to be having longer between crashes with new version. However, I'm still seeing odd behavior with long strings. Attempting to edit a string that extends past the line break results in unpredictable behavior.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Mark so it is crashing then? The line break issue is separate and is something I am working on as well (but it is not fixed yet).

@Simeon No crashes so far. I'll let you know.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

If it's feeling generally more stable I might submit this as an interim update before 1.6.

• edited September 2013 Posts: 1,255

The PDF feature in (7) is spiffy. Among other things, it's very handy for providing instructions, "about," etc.

I agree with Mark. Thanks a lot!

Yay for PDF selection by pages! Thanks for that.

I've just registered a bug with spriteSize on a PDF on the issue tracker. I hope it is clear what I meant.

• @Simeon: I'm happy to report that Codea seems much more stable. I've been hacking around most of the day now without any issues :)

Yay. It seems that a large amount of the iOS 7 bugs are fixed. Thanks!

I had one lock up on 7, but otherwise no issues.

Wish I could say the same of XCode. I'm stuck in provisioning profile hell, with expired profiles, a corrupt keychain, and hours of effort still not restoring my ability to deploy. Bleh.

@Mark - Weird. Xcode 5 is working perfectly for me. I haven't had a crash since preview 1 on my Mac Mini on Mountain Lion

In long lists of tabs, when I tap and drag, the tab list freezes (I'm looking at the Cargo Bot project) and it only moves when you let go.

• edited September 2013 Posts: 1,255

I finally managed to get back in business with XCode by manually deleting my existing certificates and profiles, then recreating them from scratch. So... wheh.

@Simeon, as @Zoyt mentioned, navigating tabs has become an issue. The editor isn't always responsive then you try to scroll the list left-right.

• edited September 2013 Posts: 2,820

@Mark - Glad it's working again.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Mark that's odd, I haven't changed anything relating to the tab navigation. Is this only happening with 1.5.5?

• edited September 2013 Posts: 2,820

@Simeon - It appeared when I installed the 1.5.5 beta.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Zoyt @Mark so is this occurring under iOS 6?

I didn't notice it till 1.5.5..

Yes, under iOS 6. It's not consistent, but it does become problematic on most projects with enough tabs to fill the screen.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

That's really odd, I've been playing with the latest beta on iPad and cannot re-create this issue. (Using Cargo-Bot and scrolling the tabs.) Any particular set of steps that leads to it?

@Simeon - On iOS 7, it happens all the time (at least right on startup of the app).

I haven't noticed any issues with tab scrolling. I'm still on OS6.whatever with the latest beta of Codea.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

Same as Andrew. iOS6 latest beta of codea and no tab issues. Tested with Cargo Bots.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Ios5 i see no pb.

Just to double-clarify: I can scroll with the inertia of flicking my finger, the tabs just won't move when dragging with my finger down. Just wanted to make sure we're not taking about different parts of scrolling.

I'm having an issue in the documentation where sometimes I'll tap on an item, and it will show the next field, then move back right away.