Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proposed projects for inclusion with Codea 2.0 as learning projects

IgnatzIgnatz Mod
edited March 2014 in Beta Posts: 5,396

I made a proposal earlier to include a number of tutorial type projects with Codea, to make it easier for new coders to learn the basics, because the current Demo projects show off features and are (mostly) not intended as tutorials.

These projects might be listed where the user's projects normally go, ie in the bottom row, on the right of the Add New Project button. This means new users will start up Codea and find demo projects in the top row, and tutorial type projects in the bottom row (which they can keep or delete as they wish, as they begin adding their own projects).

This thread is to discuss projects which may be suitable for tutorials. If you add code or a project link, please give it a unique name or number or something, so we don't get confused when commenting on it.

Comments

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod
    edited March 2014 Posts: 5,396

As a first proposal, @dave1707 has collected a bunch of over 20 solutions to common problems, and I've collated them into a single project where you can run them one by one, and copy individual code tabs to your own projects if you want to adapt them.

I have got them all running, and I have commented only the first three, but I thought it was worth sharing at this point, for comment. I'm aware there are some near duplicates, and will look at those when I get to them.

Code is here (long press, of course):
    Dave: https://gist.github.com/dermotbalson/9542640

Video:
    (Yes, I see the small physics glitch at the end, I will fix it)

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

Tutorials don't just have to be basic, because we also get experienced programmers joining, and we want to encourage them too.

Here is a set of tutorials covering 3D lighting, again in a single project.

Lighting: https://gist.github.com/dermotbalson/9560594

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Ignatz Looks good so far. One thing, some of the examples run in full screen portrait mode, but there's nothing to indicate that, so they don't look the way they should. Not sure what can be done.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@dave1707 - I can fix that easily enough.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Ignatz Thanks.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

Here is another set of tutorials covering something I think is really important. How to get stuff moving around the screen and bouncing off the sides, with and without physics (which makes a handy introduction to physics).

Bouncing: https://gist.github.com/dermotbalson/9561135

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

One more, that I wrote for a school class, to build a simple puzzle where you tilt balls into holes on a surface.

Puzzle: https://gist.github.com/dermotbalson/9561390

Video:

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

These projects look amazing, and I'd really like to include them in 2.0.

I was planning to submit Codea 2.0 today or tomorrow, so including these would delay it somewhat (their descriptions would need to be written and localised into a few different languages, which could take some time).

What do you think about including them in a 2.0.x update? Maybe adding a special folder to the examples section for tutorials and splitting these tutorials out into individual projects?

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Simeon - sure, I wouldn't want to hold up 2.0 for everyone else.

They will take some time anyway.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
    edited March 2014 Posts: 3,295

@Ignatz & @Dave1707 these examples are very good, great job!
    For copying a sub project, maybe there could be a button 'copy project' in the left pane? Using the new pasteboard.copy() function?

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Jmv38 - perhaps, but I don't want to clutter the left pane when it may be needed for the tutorial apps. Also, I would expect anyone hoping to program would know how to copy everything in a tab.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Ignatz Here's a mortgage calculator that uses a class with input/output text boxes and keyboard input. I'm not sure if you would want to use this or not. I even added comments so you don't have to.

-- mortgage calculator displayMode(FULLSCREEN) supportedOrientations(LANDSCAPE_ANY) function setup() boxTab={} -- table of input/output boxes -- x,y,w,h,type,text table.insert(boxTab,input(100,500,120,30,1,"Loan $ amount")) table.insert(boxTab,input(400,500,120,30,1,"Yearly % ( 5%=5 )")) table.insert(boxTab,input(700,500,120,30,1,"Number of years")) table.insert(boxTab,input(400,400,120,30,2,"Monthly payment")) table.insert(boxTab,input(700,400,120,30,2,"Total payments")) end function draw() background(34, 74, 82, 255) -- screen color fill(255,0,0) -- set color to red pushStyle() fontSize(40) text("MORTGAGE CALCULATOR",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT-50) -- draw text popStyle() fill(224, 149, 127, 255) -- set color text("( Tap each box to input values )",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT-100) -- draw text for a,b in pairs(boxTab) do -- loop thru table b:draw() -- draw each box end amt=tonumber(boxTab[1].val) -- starting amount int=tonumber(boxTab[2].val/100) -- yearly interest year=tonumber(boxTab[3].val) -- number of years -- perform interest calculation i=int/12 -- interest per month n=year*12 -- total months w=(1+i)^n m=amt*i*w/(w-1) -- calculate monthly amount boxTab[4].val=string.format("%.2f",m) -- save monthly payment boxTab[5].val=string.format("%.2f",m*n) -- save total payments end function touched(t) -- check which box is selected for nbr,box in pairs(boxTab) do -- loop thru table if box:touched(t) then -- box touched return -- dont check other boxes, exit function end end end function keyboard(k) for nbr,box in pairs(boxTab) do -- loop thru table box:keyboard(k) -- get input from box end end input=class() function input:init(x,y,w,h,type,txt) self.x=x -- x position self.y=y -- y position self.w=w -- width self.h=h -- height self.type=type -- 1=input box 2=output box self.txt=txt -- text to show above box self.val="0" -- data keyed in box self.sel=false -- box selected true/false end function input:draw() pushStyle() rectMode(CORNER) textMode(CORNER) fill(0) -- set background for box if self.sel then -- set selected color for box fill(105, 101, 31, 255) end stroke(255, 66, 0, 255) -- box outline color strokeWidth(2) -- outline size rect(self.x,self.y,self.w,self.h) -- draw box fill(255) -- set text color text(self.txt,self.x,self.y+self.h) -- box name text(self.val,self.x+4,self.y+4) -- box text popStyle() end function input:keyboard(k) if self.sel then if k==BACKSPACE then -- backspace key pressed str=str:sub(1,str:len()-1) -- remove last digit if str=="" then -- blank str="0" -- make 0 end elseif k>="0" and k<="9" or k=="." then -- only digits 1 thru 9 if str:sub(1,1)=="0" then -- check if leading 0 str="" -- clear leading 0 end str=str..k -- update keyed value end self.val=str -- save keyed value end end function input:touched(t) if t.state==BEGAN then if not isKeyboardShowing() then showKeyboard() -- show keyboard if its not displayed end str="0" -- clear value for z=1,#boxTab do -- clear selected flag for all boxes boxTab[z].sel=false end -- check which box was selected if t.x>self.x and t.x<self.x+self.w and t.y>self.y and t.y<self.y+self.h and self.type==1 then self.val="0" -- reset val self.sel=true -- set selected flag return true -- a box was selected end end return false -- no box was selected end
  • IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@dave1707 - I've commented all your mini projects and included your mortgage example as well.

https://gist.github.com/dermotbalson/9542640

I added a couple of extra items, eg state2 (to put program states in a table with names, instead of just numbers), drag2 (to draw the grid just once to an image in memory with setcontext).

I also modified the cube example (now called block because the sides are different lengths) because the rotation wasn't correct. I can explain if you want, having suffered through months of trying to understand all that stuff.

All together, I think it's a pretty cool project with lots of good tips, and I would have liked to have this when I first started out. >:D<

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Ignatz Thanks for all of your work. I just hope the new coders will actually use this. There are many ebooks and tutorials now, but it still seems like they ask questions without looking at anything. But then I'm sure there are some who look at everything and don't need to ask questions, so we don't hear from them.

• edited March 2014 Posts: 2,042

Nice work guys!

A few notes:

• Project # 5 (Faster grid) displays only a black screen (in setup you call DrawGrid(6000,6000,100) instead of DrawGrid(2000,2000,100) which not only contradicts the comment next to it, also makes the image seemingly invisible [its too large for Codea to handle I believe])

• Project # 13 (Restart) crashes Codea if left running long enough, and it is very difficult to switch from that one because it keeps restarting the whole program

• Project # 17 (Menu something) has an error in touched function (the w,h values are set as local in draw so they don't exist in touched)

• Project # 26 (Joint 3) looks weird, though that could just be me misinterpreting what it should do

• With some many projects, the slider is difficult to control and easily select the desired one

Is there any reason these are all one project rather than seperate ones? I feel seperate ones would be easier to copy, user could delete ones they don't want anymore while keeping the ones they like, and it would cancel out my points 2 and 5

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Ignatz Are you going to force this to run in portrait or landscape mode, full screen or partial. Some of my examples are written for full screen, portrait mode. Depending on how you want this to run, I can copy what you have and modify it to run in that mode and send it back to you. I'm not sure what the best mode is.

• edited March 2014 Posts: 2,820

@Simeon - How about some projects that show off some new features, like @Mark's location integrating with Google Maps or my music player?
    Edit: Music player example is here, so you don't have to go searching for it.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@JakAttak - thanks for the comments, I'll fix the issues. They are all in one because the intention was to include them as tutorial projects within Codea, and to have them all separate might be overwhelming. But that depends on how Simeon lays them out.

@dave1707 - if they are full screen, how will they select a different project?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Ignatz I'm not saying it has to be fullscreen, but some of them were written for fullscreen, portrait mode. I was asking what mode you want this to run in. I'll take what you have and fix my bad examples to run in the mode you pick. I'll send them back to you so you can replace the bad one.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@dave1707 - just adjust the code in each tab as it stands, with no mods for fullscreen or portrait.

The grid is easy (2000x2000 is plenty), Restart can be made to happen less often, Menu is me getting over-enthusiastic about locals.

The joint is probably where I wouldn't know, I haven't worked with them.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Ignatz One thing I noticed when going from one physics example to another, some of the physics bodies are left over and sometimes interfere with the current program. An example was going from 21 Rotate to 19 Collision. The letters bounce off an invisible floor.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Zoyt the music one is hard to demo because the assets need to be downloaded before you can use the example. Perhaps that could be explained in the comments though. Location I'd like to demo but I imagine few people have GPS in their iPad, so it would need to be explained.

• edited March 2014 Posts: 2,042

@Simeon, if a music pack is not downloaded and you attempt to play a track from it, what happens? Will it cause an error, or simply not play

Were any new example projects included with Codea 2.0?

@Simeon - What if I made it download StackIt's theme song (or anything) with an HTTP request? Would that do?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak no new projects, I want to start getting rid of some old ones (noise, cloth simulation). If it hasn't been downloaded it acts as if you are trying to play a track that doesn't exist.

@Zoyt that's a thought, I'm unsure how that would work exactly — it might not be possible to play the downloaded data easily. I think maybe just explaining in the comments what to do might be best.

@Simeon - Alright. I'll add a safeguard to tell the user they need to download it if the file doesn't exist.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Zoyt - why not download it the first time the program is run? I have code to do this with images

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Ignatz Here's another program I found in my junk that might work for the demos. I even commented it for you. You swipe the screen to control the direction and speed of the circle. Also, I went thru your list of demo code and I made correction to 7 of mine so they show better in landscape mode with the output pane showing. I left all of the comments as is so you'll just have to replace the old code with the new code. I'll be sending you the new code soon.

displayMode(FULLSCREEN) function setup()     speed=30    -- set initial speed value     swipe=vec3(0,0,0)    -- initialize swipe variable     x=WIDTH/2    -- starting x location     y=HEIGHT/2   -- starting y location end function draw()     background(40,40,50)    -- set background color     fill(255)    -- white color for circle     text("Swipe for direction, length for speed",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT-100)     ellipse(x,y,40)    -- draw a circle at x,y with size of 40     if swipe.z>0 then    -- check if a swipe occured         x=x+swipe.x*swipe.z    -- add x swipe speed to x value         y=y+swipe.y*swipe.z    -- add y swipe speed to y value     end   end function touched(t)     if t.state==BEGAN then    -- start of swipe         ts=vec2(t.x,t.y)    -- save touch start values     end     if t.state==ENDED then    -- end of swipe         d=vec2(t.x,t.y):dist(vec2(ts.x,ts.y))    -- calculate swipe distance         td=vec2(t.x-ts.x,t.y-ts.y):normalize()    -- x,y movement         swipe=vec3(td.x,td.y,d/speed)    -- set swipe variable x,y,speed     end        end