Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sending .txt file to dropbox using code (without needing to press 'sync')

edited March 2014 in Questions Posts: 143

Hello everybody,

I am creating an App for a research project. I have made an app that allows a user to draw their house plan. This house plan is written to a string which can be saved to a txt file and sent to dropbox.spritepack folder. However this txt file only updates in my real dropbox AFTER I hit 'sync' on my ipad, this is a cumbersome step and I was wondering whether there was a way to make it sync automatically or after I hit a button in my app?

Alternatively, is there a way to 'export' my houseplan txt file to a local folder in case internet connectivity is not available? - also all done in the app and not needing to manually 'sync'?

I appreciate all help I can get.

YK

Tagged:

Comments

• I have found this method http://twolivesleft.com/Codea/Talk/discussion/1380/example-storing-data-in-the-coud/p1 which I will use for the 'online' export, but I am also looking for a 'offline' method

Cheers,
    YK

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@archistudent you can save to your documents folder on the ios device.

• Cool - What is the link to the documents folder?

Also what is the easiest way to access this folder or is there a way this automatically updates on dropbox? This app will be used all over the country and by lay persons with not much computer literacy.

Cheers,
    YK

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@archistudent Here's an example of writing and reading a file to/from the documents folder. The file has to have a .png extension to show up in the documents folder. It could have a .txt or other extension and it will still be there, but just not visible.

function setup()        local file = os.getenv("HOME").."/Documents/testfile.png"     local text = "This is some sample text."     writeTest(file,text)     readTest(file) end function writeTest(file,txt)     print("writing file")     io.output(io.open(file,"w"))     io.write(txt)     io.close()     print("write done") end function readTest(file)     print("reading file")     io.input(io.open(file,"r"))     for i in io.lines() do         print(i)      end     print("read done") end