Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea 2.3.2 Beta

1235»

Comments

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

Just received a message saying Codea beta expired. Had to load the regular version.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Simeon - my beta expired too, please extend it

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Ignatz @dave1707 odd! that shouldn't be the case: 2.3.2 (build 59) expires in 21 days. Is it not showing up in your TestFlight app?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon TestFlight shows 21 days left. I tried to download it, but it said the developers license expired.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited November 2015 Posts: 5,364

Seems that when a developer's certificate expires it invalidates Apple TestFlight builds. I am uploading a new build 2.3.2 (60) to extend this.

The new build has a lot of optimisations I've been working on in the runtime. Please let me know if you encounter any strange behaviour in rendering (I haven't in my testing).

(Also note that 2.3.2 (59) will be the App Store version. It's "In Review" but Apple are taking their time, again. Build 60 will become whatever the next 2.x.x version is once more improvements are made)

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I'm running the regular code now, so if Codea is in review, I can wait for that update to be accepted.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 no problem. Once 2.3.2 (60) is uploaded it should be OK for 30 days so it's up to you whether you would like to update.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@dave1707 - I also went back to the production version, but it lost all my dropbox assets (in dropbox itself).

Lucky I had them backed up elsewhere.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Ignatz sorry! That should be resolved by updating back to the beta. They weren't lost, just renamed in 2.3.2. Version 2.3.1 can't find them.

Good to hear you have a backup though.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I loaded version 60 and I now have 2 Dropbox asset folders. One has files in it and the other is empty or else doesn't show anything in it.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 hmm, one would be the "Dropbox.assetpack" folder (old one) and one would be "Dropbox.assets" (new one). I didn't see that this situation could come about due to a downgrade then upgrade.

I will make future versions delete the old assetpack folder if it finds a duplicate.

Unfortunately we had to rename the assetpack extension because Apple appears to have reserved it for their use. It was preventing people submitting to the App Store.

@Simeon the new zipped project export is great, and really useful when developing in Xcode for pushing changes to the Xcode repo without having to re-export the entire Xcode project.

One tiny issue that I've spotted, is that if you have any tab names that are ALLCAPS, the exporter converts them to Sentencecase, which causes issues because in the Info.plist files the tab name is still in caps.

• I'm still getting the rotating bar on the keyboard with the latest beta when I've run a project that is forced to be in landscape but I've been using the iPad in portrait. That is, I've been in portrait and run a project that has supportedOrientation(LANDSCAPE_LEFT) and then exited back to the editor in portrait mode. Then the top line of keys (the extra one) is in landscape orientation. Dismissing and reshowing the keyboard sets it right.

(I realise I'm supposed to re-read every message in this thread to see the current status of that issue before posting ... sorry.)

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@LoopSpace are you on iOS 9 or 9.1?

I was able to fix the case where the rotated keyboard bar occurs when holding the iPad (@dave1707 reported), but was unable to fix the case where the iPad was lying at a small enough incline to the ground, ~30° or so. Unfortunately this is entirely an iOS bug that I am trying to work around. (That is: iOS obviously knows where the keyboard is, and is in complete control over positioning the bar. It just decides to do it wrong.)

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@yojimbo2000 thank you, can you log it on the issue tracker?

• iOS9.1

When trying to recreate it, I noticed that it happens most if I close and reopen Codea.

Here's what I see. I have a project that opens in Landscape mode only. I'm holding the iPad in portrait mode (nearly vertical). I start the program with the keyboard open, then exit back to the editor almost immediately.

The keyboard isn't there, and the extra bar appears briefly rotating from vertical to horizontal in the bottom left of the editor screen before disappearing altogether. When I invoke the keyboard, the bar is in the right place.

However, if I close Codea while my project is running and then restart it again, the bar appears along the left-hand edge of the screen (that's left-hand edge in Portrait orientation) - I'll post a screenshot to twitter. I exit the program, and the extra bar then rotates from vertical to horizontal. However, the actual keyboard isn't there, just the bar (ss to twitter again).

For this to happen, I have to start the program with the keyboard open. If I start the program with the keyboard dismissed, the bar doesn't appear.

• edited November 2015 Posts: 196

@Simeon I had a nasty glitch that completely cleared one of my files (only left the "xxx = Class()" part :D)
    The odd thing is Codea didn't even crash during the session. It just started saying that xxx didn't have some method I called (attempt to call nill or something).
    I just had had an error in my code that played a sound repeatedly very fast, so I cancelled the execution and this is when I imagine Codea deleted my file because I got the message after this point.
    Going to try to reproduce then will post a bug report in the issue tracker

Also, I thought in-app recording also recorded the audio from Codea, it is a bug or was it never the case ?

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

In app recording doesn't do audio, I use a paid app Reflector for that

Ok @Ignatz my bad, thank you for the tip

@Simeon I think I've found a rendering bug in build 60.

It's a little hard to describe.

Occasionally, a mesh will render as solid black, when it should have a texture, lighting etc. The geometry is correct, it's just solid black. The mesh in question is a piece of scenery, generated procedurally. All the other scenery meshes, generated in the same way with the same texture, shader etc, display correctly, but occasionally one will be solid black. When I see this happening I open the console and type in a few print statements to check the size of the mesh, that the colors are set to 255, that it has a texture and a shader etc, and it all seems to check out.

I know that there can be all sorts of reasons for a mesh to display black in OpenGL.

The reason why I think this is something to do with build 60 (and not a mistake in my code, or an issue with a prior build of 2.3.2) is that when I run the same code on my iPad in the Xcode project that uses the build 59 2.3.2 runtime (I export just the lua source code using the new zipped project export, and drop the source files onto the existing Xcode project which is still using build 59 2.3.2 runtime) I don't see this issue.

Build 61. Disable iTunes File Sharing support at Apple's request

That's a shame.

@yojimbo2000 - agree 1000% :(

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Unfortunately Apple's policy has become stricter on downloadable code.

Where before it used to refer to "any code downloaded from the Internet" it now says "any code from any source." This policy, of course, makes no sense.

@Simeon I'm still getting the black mesh issue in build 61

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@yojimbo2000 I think it might be an optimisation bug. I will probably revert those in the next build because they don't seem to help much.