Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea 3.0 (106)

1235»

Comments

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

Hi @dave1707 I saw that bug today when I was working on the UI project.

I've completely rewritten the UI project using a fluid syntax and a vastly improved layout system. It will be available soon along with some other goodies.

Encountered an odd problem recently. I had transferred a section of code from one project to another and used the —[[ and —]] delimiters so that I could compare the code directly - but I was getting errors from Codea which it claimed was in the delimited section of code. The project would not run.

Also, on another occasion, within a delimited section of code some of the lines were not formatted green and an error was presented.

Deleting the delimited section of code restored normal conditions. Anyone else seen this?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G I think I ran into that once and just fix the error within the delimiters and didn’t pay any attention to it after that. I tried it now with different types of mistakes, but couldn’t get it to flag the errors. Maybe there’s something else that has to be happening to cause it. If I run into it again, I’ll play around with it.

@Bri_G i often see that commented out code does not appear green when first entering the project. it gets fixed after the code has been run for the first time.

@piinthesky - yeah, I’ve seen that on the odd occasion before. But, this time I can not run the project as it is pointing to an error in the commented out text.

Another thing I have found adds to these issues is if you have commented out —]] or —[[ instances in the commented out text. But there you can understand the issue and correct it by modifying the commented out code.

Getting some weird effects which I think may be due to Dropbox. Moved some files around on Dropbox with several directory depths. The files are obj file related. When I sync Dropbox through Codea the normal Dropbox file dialogue opens showing model objects, sprites etc with the spinning sync progress icon. After a while the Dropbox file display contents disappear Just leaving the type headings, then the progress icon remains present with the number of files to sync displayed and decreasing. When finished running my project shows some file access but not all giving errors. Anyone else see this. Restarting Codea has no effect.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited June 2018 Posts: 8,389

@Simeon Here’s an error that is similar to what @Bri_G mentioned. The red error line shows up in the wrong spot. Copy the below code as is and the red error line shows in the wrong spot. Adding or removing 2 blank lines between —[[ and --]] moves the red error line up or down one line.

--[[

adding 2 blank lines moves the red error line up one line
        removing 2 blank lines moves the red error line down one line

--]]

function setup() 
        a=1  -- red line error shows here 
    end

function draw()
        a=  -- actual error is here
    end

@dave1707 - how on earth did you spot that?!!!!!

I'll check it out once the match has finished.
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G I was just coding something and noticed that I was getting a red line error on a line that wasn’t an error. I copied the code to another project and started stripping out code until I got it down to a bare minimum and still keeping the error. After playing around with it, I was able to code my above example using a small amount of code. While playing with it, I noticed that the red error line moved as I added or removed code. This is pretty much what I enjoy doing, finding errors and figuring out what’s causing them. I don’t have the original code to correct, so I try to minimize the code causing the error to make it easy for TLL to fix.

• edited June 2018 Posts: 1,717

@dave1707 - good to have you on the beta testing team. I have played about with your code from above and found if you add comments to two adjacent blank lines ie — comment delimiters then the error moves down one, addition of further delimiters on other lines has no additional effect. Also outside the —[[ ]]— commented area addition of — on adjacent lines has no effect.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I’m on Codea version 106 and iOS 12. If I start Codea and select Add New Project, the background list of projects isn’t cleared so the enter name area and elsewhere is cluttered with the project folders. The background is cleared after selecting Add New Project the first time.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Codea ver 106 hangs when I duplicate a project and give it a different name. When I key in a new name and press Create, the duplicate popup closes, but Codea hangs showing the project list. When I force close Codea and reopen it, the copied project is created. This is on my iPad Air. I haven’t had it happen on my iPad Pro.

@Simeon, @dave1707 - just tried this out on my iPad Pro iOS 12.0.1 and Codea 3(106). Codea didn’t crash when I duplicated a small file without changing name (but has appended Copy) or in changing the name (just added an extra character). Could this be due to size or problem in the file itself?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Here’s an update on the Codea hang. It seems to only hang when the project with the new name is far away from the original project in the project list. I noticed that the screen flashes just before Codea hangs. It's as if Codea is trying to scroll the project list to where the duplicated project is before it try’s to open the duplicated project. Instead of scrolling to the duplicated project, it just hangs.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 thank you for that report. How would you feel if we were to ditch the project browser entirely in favour of the iOS-native one used by Shade?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited October 2018 Posts: 8,389

@Simeon That depends. Would doing that get rid of listProjects, deleteProjects, createProjects and other project functions. I use those for backup and restore and search.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 It would mean that projects could exist anywhere, not just in the Codea documents directory. So listProjects and friends could still work for those projects in the app sandbox, but you might have projects in Dropbox or Google Drive, or iCloud Drive that would not be listed under such a system (for example I keep all my Shade documents in my Documents folder in iCloud, so they show up on my MacBook)

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon As long as I can still use listProjects and friends, then that’s OK. I don’t do anything with Google Drive. I keep books and PDFs on the iCloud. I keep my project backups on Dropbox and they’re synced with my Codea Dropbox folder. I'd have no problem with keeping all of my projects in the app sandbox. As for Codea projects on the other drives, I might keep copies of them there.

@Simeon, @dave1707 - update on my earlier post. Duplicated a simple project in project window ‘recent’ mode, adding an X to file name at beginning of file name, and it worked fine. Switched to project, window ‘alphabetic’ mode, and repeated process - Codea froze in project window mode no response to tapping.

On your point re iOS filing system, how would it work with project.assets, Documents and other resources - would it default to the local path taken from the project path?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G project assets would always be located in the project bundle itself (i.e., within the .codea file, wherever that lives). This is how it works in Shade — if you drag-and-drop an image into your shader graph, that image then lives in the .shader file, whether it's in iCloud or on your iPad.

@Simeon - excellent, I assume we will be able to access the project files with a file manager to edit as necessary. Also I take it that a simple script file will hold the data list.

One potential problem is that, if you are a lazy programmer like me, you would just generate a new project copy for each development step reached (Allowing you to step back a stage if you should hit a dead end). That could be memory intensive if you use a lot of graphics and sound.

If we still have the ability to access our own communal resources direct ie Documents folder Resources etc or Images and Sounds directories (whatever we want to call them in whatever location Dropbox/iCloud etc) allowing you to develop without resource duplication and integrate at the end of development - that’s fine.