Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shade 1.0 (8)

Comments

@dave1707 - iPad recharging for tomorrow will post details then. Could do with an output list though as some settings not obvious. Your suggestion of highlighting selections would work. But, a textual output on all nodes and parameters would be more efficient.

What does the shader file display? Is it a textual file of nodes and parameter settings? If so how do you access it?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G I got the AR to work. Apparently I wasn’t looking in the right spot. When I first tried it, I was expecting to see something where the camera was pointing, but I had to move the camera around until I found the image.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 1,708
    @dave1707 - yeah, just going to mention that. I had to look around fot a while. Plus you obviously need to give Shade access to the camera. Also my model still had the grid from the plain attached, spoilt the effect a little. Have you recorded video from Shade? Using iOS to do so?
    @John, @Simeon - my last post made me think about recording video from Shade. You should be able to record the full Shade development screen. But it would be nice to be able to record the output window, either as actual size or as fullscreen.

Are there any plans for this. Or, are you thinking of a shader player to do that, or import to Codea for video recording?
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G I forgot that you have to find a flat surface for AR to put the image on. I haven’t tried a video of Shade yet, but you can take a screen snapshot of the nodes.

@dave1707 - tried to find settings to get rid of the grid in AR scene, no luck!!!

Have you any idea?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G Haven’t played very much with AR, even before Shade. If there’s a way maybe @Simeon or @John will tell us.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G I ran the AR example in Codea and when I tapped the > in the upper left of the screen to show the print panel, there’s a parameter option DrawPlanes to remove or show the grid. So the grid can be removed but I couldn’t find anything in Shade to do it.

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@Bri_G, @dave1707, in the next build I'll add a few options to the AR scene , including the ability to turn the grids off, scale and set the position of the preview object.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@John Thanks for the update.

@John, @Simeon - don’t know what I did but, I was trying to duplicate the rain Shader on Twitter, had the top row of nodes in place and then started to add the bottom row - reached the bottom left and was adding a number node when all other nodes disappeared together with the surface property box. But, the output window still reflected what I already had in place. Scrolling the editing window and pinching to reduce failed to bring up nodes. Closing, re-opening the shader had no effect. Closing Shade and restarting, then loading the shader just returned to the same blank canvas with only a single node in view. Is there any way I could have deleted multiple nodes with one touch?
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G can you post or send us the effected shader file?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G I ran into the disappearing nodes several times and reported it back on page 1. I was playing with adding nodes and connecting lines when all the nodes and Surface list disappeared. I thought they scrolled off the screen, but I couldn’t find them. So I don’t know if they disappeared or scrolled somewhere I couldn’t find them. The only thing I could do was delete the Shader and start over.

@dave1707 - just posted my file to @Simeon, may help. I wondered if I had tried to create a node on top of another. The screen wss getting pretty congested.

@dave1707 - don’t believe it, happened again. This time I had added most of nodes but only connected top row. Moving window to left and they all disappeared. Could they have dropped a z-level, behind the grid?

@John, @Simeon - with the problems I have had with disappearing nodes I tried this : loaded up new blank shader, selected the surface node and pressed delete. The node disappeared. Surely this node should be permanently present?

@John, @Simeon - loaded another file and deleted the surface node, closed and reloaded it. Here are the reported errors in attached screen image.

This is interesting because in the disappearing nodes case you can continue to add nodes implying the surface node is still active in limbo and the system is basically intact. Re-loading a shader with deleted surface is inoperable and fires out the errors as in the snapshot attached.

@John, @Simeon - Just thinking about the disappearance problem. What environment is the shader main window on? Is it a 3D environment or a 2D with scaling capability - i.e. no movement in along z axis. Only mention it because the output window is fixed but is obviously 3D. Have we lost our nodes behind us?

Suggestion, location button in the top right menu which when pressed locates the surface node top right below the menu, then you can pinch zoom as needed.

@John, @Simeon - thought occurred to me with the disappearing nodes - sometimes between nodes you get these routing terminals (mini nodes whatever you call them) I have opened these at times to redirect from x to y etc but with no success - have to learn how to do it. But, on occasion I have left these open and not linked. Could this be effectively repeatedly building up in memory and exceeding memory available and effectively crashes?

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@Bri_G thanks for the file. Managed to figure out the problem. Basically somehow you've scrolled really far away from the Surface node and the rest of your graph. I'll have to figure out why that's happening. We now have a minimap though so it'll be easy to find your graph no matter where it goes.

@John - thanks for the update, still don’t know why the nodes move away from the screen. Probably so far away because I was scrolling around trying to find them. The minimap is a good idea - at -14000 how small is the minimap image of the Shade 1/14 th of the screen? I still think a re-location tool would be useful until you find the reason for the teleporting shades.

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@Bri_G with the minimap you can tap and it will take you straight to that location. I've tested it with your shader and its very easy.

@John - Excellent, no pressure but is this in next version? Any suggestion for avoiding the problem until version 6 is out?

I know there was a minor issue with scrolling in one of the earlier versions, could that be the reason behind the disappearing nodes?

Just figured out what swizzling is and how to do the connections. I am afraid the only way I can do it is by zooming into the screen so that the expanded swizzle pip connection are big enough so that I can make connections. My fingers are pretty big and flat at the tips. Think I might invest in a touch pen.

@Simeon, @John - just a quick query re swizzles - @TokOut provided a shader with a gradient coloured sphere using ViewDir, Normal. Dot and Gradient nodes. The link between the Dot and Gradient had a Swizzle present in @Tokout's shader. When I reproduced this there was no Swizzle. Are Swizzles produced automatically? Can you insert one in between linked nodes? Or, does it depend on the output from the donating node and the options in the receiving node?

Second quick query, I used the Culling property in a recent shader on a sphere object. The sphere is partially transparent, not by design - by play, and reflective. There appears to be a black cube/square within the sphere or on the surface is this omission of points on the sphere? I can't seem to get rid of it.

Picking up the latter point,can I re-enforce a request by one of the beta-testers to provide selection highlighters (bold print, colour change or a tick) so that we can quickly assess which properties we have selected for the shader. It would make life easier when trying to figure out why changes occur and how to modify them if needed.

p.s. you need to update to 1.5 on your reference version notes.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G it could be that an older version of Shade needed the swizzle and the latest beta does not (@John will know)

On the selection highlighters — do you mean highlighting which property has been selected that brings up the popover control to edit it?

@Simeon - yes, I believe someone else raised it in this thread. The problem is, especially when trying out lots of links, when you set up the scene you get a menu in which all the text is the same format - in some cases the selected option is obvious e.g. a sphere as you see it in the output window. However there are many menus, with options and once you have selected them there is no change in the format. So if you move away to add other nodes/features then return to one of the menus - you can not tell which option is currently selected. All you can go on is what is in the output window which is a combination of nodes and other features in Surface etc.

A tick, bold text or highlighted background would mean you can see if the node/feature in question needs editing or not. I tend to cycle through the options to see the effects they have on output but can not tell what the combination is - unless I document my changes.

That's why I have also suggested a text file output, if needed, detailing the nodes in use, surface settings and the output window settings so that you have a summary of a shader. That would be easier to duplicate than trying to imitate a shader window with connections and variable values.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G @Simeon I suggested earlier in this discussion that anytime something in a menu is selected, it’s color changes so you know what was selected.

@dave1707 - aha, thought it might be you.

While I am posting another situation I have found is that I recently have been connecting nodes and Codea has tripped out with error messages. I say Codea because I think that Shade is built on top of it, using the Codea engine behind it.

The errors are usually tripped out because of wrong input type/format. Is there any way to trap these rather than drop out?

One other thing, pardon my ignorance, but I find the UV node perplexing. Knowing what vertices are involved is important, so I take it that when you pick an output object, sphere/plain the UV reflects that object and passes on the model vertices to it. Can we influence this, the checkerboard demo by @Simeon would suggest it is possible as each square on the plain is coloured differently to its neighbours. Or is this just maths and colouring down to pixel values by calculation.

Can we define the vertices involved in the UV, there appears to be no input to it?

@Bri_G - The texture UV coords are really just a unique grid of colour encoded points in 0-1 space using proportions of red for U, and green for V. These texture positions are mapped onto the UVs of the model, which in the case of Shade are predefined/baked into each mesh ( although usually you would define the UV mapping in a 3D modelling package first). I suspect you can’t change the UV coords of the model in Shade, but you can influence the positions of the UV points at texture level to do all sort of cool effects.

To illustrate this, my texture distort test shows how you can shunt textures around a surface by adding different proportions of red/green values ( for the U and V directions) multiplied with an animated noise texture to ‘push’ pixels around.

Untitled.jpg 916.4K

@andymac3d - thanks for the feedback. And the demo. Loaded it up and almost the same as yours. Just seem to be missing the swizzle nearest the surface node. What is the value in your timer node?

@Bri_G - No worries.. I think my timer node was something like 0.26

• AnatolyAnatoly Mod
    edited August 2018 Posts: 889

@simeon; will shade be imported into codea to other shaders? Or is it completely new?

@John, @Simeon - thanks for the Shade update, a lot of changes - will take some digesting. But, luv the locating map showing shader in bottom right corner. Like the new additions to the reference (videos), filename in top right hand corner and new models in the testing options.

Slowly working through the shaders I had been playing with, so far only 1 change in response. Sizing the output window took me by surprise until I realised you have to drag.

Thanks again - will report any issues I find.

• edited September 2018 Posts: 38
    Number node crashes Shade on iPhone X when you change the value via main inspector. Changing value via the shortcut at the bottom works fine.

1. New shader
    2. Add number node
    3. Change value
    4. Tap empty space on the grid
  • JohnJohn Admin Mod

@matthew Thanks, we'll look into that one!

Just loaded iOS 12 and no noticeable difference as yet.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,387

@Bri_G You’re brave with iOS 12. I usually wait a couple of weeks to see what falls out before I load a new OS. I don’t think Apple does a very good job of writing code anymore. They seem to rush things. But it’s good to know you haven’t run into anything yet.

@dave1707 - I was pretty sure developers test out new versions on beta iOS before releasing them. So I wasn't worried sbout Codea.
    12 is a little slicker, few new apps and fiddled with the keyboard - latter is a little confusing.
  • @dave1707 I don’t think it’s just Apple. Seems like we’re in an era where mass public beta testing is the norm. Nice that it only takes a couple weeks to get the fixes, eh?
  • em2em2

This looks really intriguing... I can't believe I didn't see this thread sooner. Will Shade be released as a stand-alone app for a price?

• in shade 8....
    the toon shader crashed with error ’main:225 attempt to compare number with nil’
    the cloud shader didn’t seem to show any clouds!

can we use the shaders in codea yet!?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    @piinthesky soon, John just got them working. The new system is so much better but getting it working uniformly with all the old shader types is work.

@Simeon, @John - first impressions, wow big changes in looks, linking options, reference and examples. Like all the demos and the filing functions - now looking very professional and a finished product. Trust there are only a few tweaks to do to finish initial development. Not found any issues so far, will take a fair bit of delving.

I take it you want us to test the install as well?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

Is there a way to restore the Shade examples without deleting Shade and reloading it. I’m not seeing anything for it.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    @dave1707 I was about to put a button in for it last night but thought “no one will need that yet.” Now I am putting the button in.
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Thanks. I was playing around with one of the examples when I did something and one of the connections disappeared, not because of an error, but something I did. I kept playing with it because I figured I’d just restore the example, but I couldn’t find anything. Next time I’ll just copy the example and play with the copy.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I’m curious about the three line connections/swizzles. Some connections use all three lines, but some only use 1 or 2 connections but still shows 3 lines. Plus some are pink while some are blue.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    @dave1707 the lines represent the different types and cardinality of the data in the connection. Three lines means 3D data (eg xyz or rgb). A single line would be a single scalar value.
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Thanks for the explanation on the lines. It makes sense now. As for the Group node, is it’s purpose so you can place multiple nodes on it and move them around as a group. If so, I noticed that if I have multiple nodes on it and keep moving it around in little steps, the nodes can eventually move off the Group node.