Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea 2.7.5 (145)

2»

Comments

@dave1707 - I use your backup program because that is all you need. The code!! From the code you can determine what resources you need and where they are. If you move them or delete them then without updating the code the project won’t work anyway. So only saving the code is really necessary. At most a list of the paths for an archive (multiple projects) to all resources could help someone re-configure their system. I don’t think Dropbox resources should be backed up, nor the graphic assets for each project in an archive. Rather, an option to backup individual projects together with their resources allows small complete packages to be produced, transferred to a Mac for compilation or transferred to other iPads running Codea.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G I know what you mean. I guess it’s possible to just copy the Codea projects to the Files app for backup. I haven’t tried doing that though. My backup code works fine for what I do and it only takes 3 seconds to backup my 556 projects.

• edited February 2019 Posts: 1,840

All, can anyone tell me what the little black and white wedge is - at the top right corner of the Codea icon on the taskbar?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G what are you seeing? Can you screenshot it

@Simeon - when I see it, just appears occasionally.
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

On the iOS home screen? If it's happening there then we don't have control over that. But I'm really curious what it is

@Simeon - looks like it might be Siri, see the attached link. Not the mini icon I see, I'll post an image when it pops up again.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8077754
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    Hah. I have never seen that before! Didn’t even know it did that
    @Simeon - sounds like there are a lot of hidden "gems" in iOS. Must admit there seems to be less and less screen available for apps. The number of times I have been touching the screen near the edge and ended up pulling in a new window is amazing. Any way you can lock out a screen from iOS?
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G it is possible to make it so you have to drag twice to close Codea. I might add it as an option to Settings (I personally prefer to be able to instantly close it, but I can see how it's frustrating when it happens by accident)

@Simeon - not worth changing for one individual, unless there is a general agreement for the need - or if the settings you mention is an optional feature.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

I also noticed that you can’t get close to some of the edges when you try to touch the screen. If an option can be set to allow full screen touching, I’m for it. It should be possible to know when a drag from off screen is happening as opposed to a touch near the edge or a drag near the edge.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 yeah perhaps that should be the default behaviour when running the runtime view? Or maybe an API for it.

iOS refers to this as "deferring system gestures." What this means is that you see a little "tongue" pop out when you first drag (but it doesn't interfere with your app), then if you drag again the system gesture happens.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited March 2019 Posts: 8,625

@Simeon I’m not sure how or when this happened. I have 2 old projects that have no tabs when I open them. If I run the projects, they show the print window and give no errors. See the 2 images. I looked at those 2 projects on a backup I created 9 months ago and they were blank. So they were probably like this for a long time. I looked at those 2 projects on my other iPad and they were OK. I copied all of my projects there maybe a few years ago, so they were valid back then. I don’t remember the last time I used them on the iPad I use constantly.

PS. I wrote some code to check all my projects and only 2 of them didn’t have any tabs in them. I haven’t the slightest idea how I would have lost all the tabs in those 2 projects since I don’t remember ever opening them again after about a week of creating them.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 that is really strange. I wonder if it's something to do with the iOS file system support added to later versions of Codea. I'm going to try transition Codea to use UIDocument, which is Apple's recommended way of building document-based apps. I'm sorry this happened to you!