Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea 3.0 (106)

SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
edited October 2018 in Beta Posts: 5,427

This is pretty unfinished.

But universal is enabled and it will run on iPhone and in iPad's split screen mode. But only the project browser screen has been rewritten to be capable of this without breaking. The rest is coming, but I thought we should release it now so you can see what's happening.

Build 102 Changes:

• Black screen issue should be resolved
  • Runtime now supports iPhone X
  • Tags and highlights in the code editor now word-wrap appropriately
  • Fixed bug where selecting a new sprite broke code editing

Build 103 Changes:

• Craft spotlight rotation fix
  • Fix duplicate project functionality
  • Fix crash when Add from Photos is selected in Documents folder
  • Fix crash when using color parameter on iPhone
  • Update Multi Touch example code to check for touches cancelled

Build 104 Changes:

• Restore paste into project functionality
  • Fix export panel on all devices
  • Fix issue where project navigator could become black / messed up when returning from editor

Comments

@Simeon thanks for the new Beta, any advice on which areas to concentrate on! Like the new resources menu, seems a little slow to respond to my touches.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I don’t know if you’re after bugs yet, but after awhile I’m getting a black screen that doesn’t do anything. I can drag down the notification screen from the top and drag up the task bar from the bottom, but nothing from either side. It doesn’t let me do anything and the only way out is a force close of Codea. I’ve run into it twice, but not sure what I did. I’ll post a sequence to the screen ASAP.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 I've hit that bug as well

@Bri_G do you mean the assets menu?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited February 2018 Posts: 8,674

@Bri_G I’ve been in the assets menu and back out a few times. I think it might have something to do with split screen. Here’s some screen prints of other things I’ve run into.

Not sure where the screen prints went to. Here one of them. There were probably too many.

I think one of the times I hit a black screen was exiting the assets menu.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon @Bri_G Here’s how I can get a black screen in portrait mode or a partial black screen with some stars in landscape mode.

1. Tap a project to open the editor.
    2. Close the editor.
    3. Tap assets to open the assets.
    4. Close the assets.
    5. ===== Black screen =====

Try rotating the iPad from landscape to portrait and back and different things show up.

• edited February 2018 Posts: 566

@simeon, thanks for new beta.

I am unable to duplicate a project-it just makes a new empty project.

I also did not manage to change the spotlight direction! Could you provide an example code i must not be doing it correctly.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I found another way to get a black screen.

1. Tap a project to open the editor.
    2. Close the editor
    3. Tap the two lives left icon at the bottom middle of the screen
    4. Tap BACK to exit the screen
    5. ===== black screen =====
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Another problem.

1. Tap Create New Project.
    2. A new screen opens to enter a name.
    3. Tapping the X to exit without creating a new project doesn’t work.
    4. The same thing happens when you Duplicate a project.
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon While the Codea home screen is showing, swipe up from the bottom to bring up the task bar. Long pressing on the Codea icon in the task bar (I have Codea in the task bar) brings up a box with a list of current files that I have in the Files app.

PS. Actually, I can be anywhere when I long press on the Codea icon in the task bar to show the Files box.

PS. Long pressing the Codea icon in the task bar brings up a Files box in the 2.5.2 (99) release also.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 brilliant thank you for all those steps, that's really useful.

The files box is standard behaviour if your app declares support for the Files app (you'll notice Codea shows up inside the iOS files app).

@piinthesky ah duplicate is probably a bug, thank you.

@Simeon the slow response issue is trivial, it is with the assets menu, it looks like you’ve added a shrinking animation to the buttons which delays the desired action. Also gentle taps fail you need a good positive touch to get the desired action.

On the black screen problem, I can confirm that it occurs and it also shows up on the Shaders asset when you try to return to the Assets menu.

The little button at the top left of the main screen that accesses the assets menu is retained on the right hand half of the assets page, but it doesn’t respond to a touch (other than shrinking) but any other touch on that right hand assets page closes the asset menu - is this intended?

• edited February 2018 Posts: 1,869

@Simeon - I’ve noticed when you close the edit menu the edit page drops before closing, is this due to the icon bar at the top of the page?

I noticed the WiFi symbol and the Done text overlap at times in the top left hand corner.

On iPhone 6s

1. Open (new) Project
    2. Go back to menu
    3. Open assets
    4. Hit close
    Everything stops working
  • on a iphone 6s the AR example has an issue. when one touches the horizontal grid the cubes do not appear.
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G oh right! The menu with Shader Lab, Assets, Air Code, and Reference. Yes I'm aware of that one and it drives me crazy too. Thanks for the report. Also yes the button should behave as a toggle rather than leaving the menu open.

On what screen do the WiFi text and "Done" button overlap? I'm not clear on which screen you're referring to there.

@GR00G0 thanks that's a bad bug :smiley:

@piinthesky I think I've noticed that too

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Here’s a minor bug in 3.0 and also 2.5.2 (99).

1) tap on the gear icon in the upper right of the Codea screen.
    2) scroll to the bottom.
    3) tap the See What’s New button.
    4) in 3.0, the button just flashes and doesn’t do anything.
    5) in 2.5.2, it shows you What’s New, but the only way out is to close Codea.

• @Simeon on iphone6s the hide keyboard button is missing. i had a case when the keyboard was active when the app was running.

Being able to easily run the code on the iphone to test the layout is fantastic. it is easy copy over the files via the icloud and the files app. the universal tools works well. pleasantly surpised to see how fast the fps is on my iphone6s compared to the ipad pro. Great job guys!

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited February 2018 Posts: 5,427

@piinthesky thanks! The next build should have the runtime / viewer area fixed for iPhone.

The tough part is going to be the editor. What row of keyboard keys would be important to you on the iPhone? Because we obviously can't have everything that would fit on iPad.

I think the current array (on iPhone) is:

Tab, Undo, Arithmetic Symbols, Move Cursor, Parentheses, Quotes, Equality Symbols, Play

The "Move Cursor" one is kind of redundant on any iPhone with 3D touch, because you can hard-press the keyboard to do it.

Also we're missing documentation and find/replace from that list.

• @simeon maybe the hide keyboard could be a downward swipe gesture.
    I did not know about the hard press for the cursor, so yes that could be removed.
    For me the find/replace is important.
    Maybe the tab could be moved to the options that appear when text is selected.

Hi @Simeon - unable to reproduce the text overlap, tried all the items on the Assets/Shaders etc menu but no joy. Will report on this if I can reproduce but a low boiler anyway.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I’m seeing some weird things on my iPad Air when I open a project. When an existing project is opened, but before the project is displayed in the editor, I see part of a ghost project displayed for a fraction of a second. Different projects show different ghost, but they will repeat for each project. Since each project has its own unique ghost, it must have something to do with the project that’s being opened.

PS. I’m also seeing it on my iPad Pro. Sometimes there’s a lot of things in the text portion of the editor, but mostly you’ll see line numbers along the left edge of the screen.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 is the ghost project you see the code of a different project, or the actual running project in the code editor?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Build 102 out with the following fixes:

• Black screen issue should be resolved
    • Runtime now supports iPhone X
    • Tags and highlights in the code editor now word-wrap appropriately
    • Fixed bug where selecting a new sprite broke code editing
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon It has nothing to do with the project I’m opening or any project that I’ve opened previously. I’ll try to get a picture of it. I’ll try doing a screen video and if that doesn’t work, I’ll do a video with my other iPad as I open a project.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I was wrong, it does have something to do with the project I’m opening. I did a video with my other iPad and when I viewed it in slow motion, I could see some similarities. I have to leave right now, but I’ll post the video or pictures when I get back.

Been doing some very basic testing on an iPhone 7+ :) and in the main it seems to work well, noticed that there are some issues with the project title and tabs overlapping on the shader lab, also the dialog box in the Cargo Bot example appears in the wrong place - but all in all VERY impressed that it works so smoothly. Particularly impressed with the ARKit demo :)

CODEA ON MY FREAKIN' PHONE!!!!! :)

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon The video and pictures were too big to post here, so I sent a video to your email.

PS. I have a clearer video if you need another one.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I downloaded Codea version 102 and I don’t see the ghost projects on any of the projects that I opened. One thing I noticed was when a project first opens, the background has a grey color which then changes to a bright white. Is that intentional.

Wow! Haven't touched Codea in years, but I've long been waiting for universal Codea :). First build is running much better than I expected.

I'm sure you're aware of this, @Simeon, as you have an iPhone X, but the edges of the UI do not conform to safe area at all.

First bug I noticed: After going to the forums and then exiting, the settings panel is half out.
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak the main project browser and runtime should respect the iPhone X safe areas, the code editor hasn't been updated yet though.

Thanks for letting me know about the settings panel bug. Does it happen consistently?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 the grey to white is intentional I just don't know why it wasn't doing it before and is doing it now :\

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Codea crashes if I select assets, then the Documents folder, then tap +Add from photos. It does it on both my iPad Air and iPad Pro.

yes, the settings panel bug is consisentent. Here is a video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X-w9g2DPtEpkakC6IAqou4v9SmI8A5-7

it also shows another bug where after closing projects the main project browser no longer respects the safe area (watch the forums button)
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Thanks @dave1707 fixed for next build

this one looks like a bug, but if it could be a feature that'd be great. otherwise, with the keyboard up on iPhone X in landscape, you'd only be able to see one or two lines of code.

another bug: color parameters crash Codea (trying to change them while running, not just having them)
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited February 2018 Posts: 5,427

@JakAttak what's the bug in that screenshot?

Edit: thanks for reporting the colour parameter crash, will fix!

how is the keyboard supposed to be dismisst? I tried swyping it down, like in messages, but it didn‘t hide. Also the color picker ist cut off at the bottom.. but thats minor issue..
    @Simeon , is the keyboard not too short? normally I use Gboard and have iOS keyboard disabled but it popped up so I actually am not sure if that's how the standard keyboard looks in landscape
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@se24vad currently the editor hasn't really been touched at all for iPhone support. The other two main parts of Codea (projects screen and runtime) do support iPhone.

I'm in the process of completely re-writing the code editor and I think swipe-down to dismiss will be necessary.

@JakAttak that's how the standard keyboard looks in landscape — it's pretty short!

@Simeon - tried out 3.102, seem to have taken out the problems you mention. New one, can’t take a screen snapshot for the app icon.

Pleased to report the video screen grab function now works on my iPad Pro without bombing out. Thank you!!

@Simeon - update on last post, the icons for the apps appeared after I had shut down Codea, I remember it used to do that but I’m sure you fixed it before.

Secondly I noted that the video recorded the screen with the parameter window slider squashing the rest of the display. Did it used to that? or is this a feature of using the iOS screen capture routine?

• edited February 2018 Posts: 2,043
    Runtime parameters / console don't respect the notch in landscape.

EDIT: I was wrong. it's only the custom sidebar in the CraftAR Voxel project
    In the multi touch example, there is a bug which can result in ellipses staying on the screen after being cancelled. simple fix: change the first line in touched to `if touch.state == ENDED or touch.state == CANCELLED then`
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G thanks for the report. Will fix the icons. How do you mean the parameter window squashed the rest of the display? Is the recording actually squashed? The new video recording should record the sidebar if it's visible (i.e., not in FULLSCREEN mode)

@JakAttak thanks that bug has been around forever. I'll try to remember to change it.

@Simeon - yeah it records the sidebar and ‘squashes’ the main screen into the remaining screen. I thought, pre iOS 11 Codea screen recording didn’t record the sidebar.

It’s not a problem as I tend to use OVERLAY displayMode() as default So I viewed it as more of a new feature rather than just defaulting to iOS restrictions for me. Just wondered if you new.

When I say squashes the screen, it depends on whether the programmer has used WIDTH in the draw() code for the app. The width changes when the sidebar is initiated so calculations in the draw function will accommodate it and squash the screen. Otherwise the image will be generated absolutely but will only be partially displayed.

OVERLAY displayMode() retains the WIDTH so the image is displayed as normal but overlapped by the sidebar.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G but if you use FULLSCREEN mode and then record, it shouldn't squash the main screen?

@Simeon - oops, didn't know that one, will give it a try. Thanks.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon If you try to duplicate a project, it doesn’t fill in the name like it used to. Also, you still can’t tap on the X to exit the duplicate, or create new project if you want to exit without doing anything.

@dave1707 - I think there are a few outstanding functions to complete. I was going to report that when you press on the new project button and hold it, a la install from pasteboard, a message comes up as to feature not added yet. There may be more of these.