Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shade 1.0 (8)

JohnJohn Admin Mod
edited October 2018 in Beta Posts: 629

This thread is for the Shade Beta. Right now this is a limited beta. As the builds become more stable we will open it up to a wider group. Feel free to post shaders you've created and report any bugs you find.

Build Notes

Version 1.0 (8)
Please test the In-App Purchase functionality
- You won't actually be charged
- The purchase dialogs will say "Sandbox"
- The "14 Day Free Trial" only lasts for 1 day for testers, so please test the trial and then the full upgrade experience and let us know what you think

New stuff!
- You can now group nodes with the Group Node
- You can directly manipulate objects in the preview window, just tap on them!
- Tap elsewhere on the preview window to see preview settings
- You can add objects to your scene through the Prop node
- Adds Create/Get local variable nodes
- Adds Combine node

Other stuff
- Improved Unity code gen
- Reworked parallax node
- Emissive strength no longer exists, use the intensity of the emissive color
- Lots of UI tweaks

Header.jpg 102.5K

Comments

@John - interesting, what is your timetable for shade?

Looks like it may be a better way for developing shaders. Will it include importing shaders from other sources?
  • JohnJohn Admin Mod

@Bri_G We're working on a pretty tight schedule (think weeks not months), no promises though. It will export to several targets (Codea, Unity) but it cannot import existing shaders.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Looks like the first beta has gone through! Anyone who's a tester of this version tweet us your first shaders, or post them here so I can show them off

Anyone who wants to be a tester, post here or DM us your email

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

Is that going to be sent to the existing beta testers.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 Oh we actually already added you and some others but the invites didn't get sent. I just fixed it!

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Note: any existing testers who want to be on the Shade beta just let us know here and we'll transfer your details over.

@simeon count me in please
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Simeon - I would like to contribute but not sure how much help I could give, just another pair of hands testing

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I don’t know if you’re ready for fixes, but here something to start. When I start Shade on an iPad Pro in landscape mode, the surface list is partially hidden by the sphere image. When I start Shade on an iPad Air, the surface list is completely off the screen to the right. Same if I start Shade on the iPad Pro in portrait mode.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited July 2018 Posts: 8,566

@Simeon I ran into a situation where the picture was all white and the was a small scrolling bar in the bottom right edge of the picture. I removed all inputs to the surface list and also tried changing the picture from sphere to cube to plane but nothing would change the picture or stop the scrolling bar. I had to exit and delete the shader to get rid of it.

EDIT: The easiest way to recreate the above problem. Create 2 UV and 1 Floor node. Run the 2 UV nodes into the Floor node. Run the Floor node into the Surface Diffuse. Delete one of the UV nodes then delete the other UV node. The picture should have a little scrolling bar and nothing can be done to the picture.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 thank you for those steps that definitely does bug out the shader compilation!

@simeon should Shade appear in testflight? don’t see it yet.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@piinthesky I got mine from the email message. I pressed something in the email and it took me to a download in TestFlight. Try going into TestFlight and swiping to the right. If I do that it shows a window with Codea and Shade in it.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    @piinthesky you may need to accept the invite email for it to appear in TestFlight on your device
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon @John Can the size of the nodes be changed. On my iPad Air, they take up a lot of screen space. Maybe make them smaller and in a single file down the left side of the screen. Also in alphabetical order or an option to put them in alpha order.

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@dave1707 I'll let @simeon handle that one. Have you tried using the long-press create node menu? I generally never use the library and just type what I want. Obviously the library is great when you are starting out trying to figure out what nodes exist.

@simeon opps i forgot to look at my email! thanks i got it.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    @dave1707 yes I’d like to move them to single file and much smaller. That’s a very unfinished part of the app right now. We’ll be breaking them into categories.
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@John I tried the long press but so far I don’t like it. Maybe I’m missing something. For instance, if I press s then I get a long list. If I then press i the list shows Sign, Sin, Asin with a bent arrow on Asin. If I then press n the list shows Sin, Asin with the arrow on Asin. I can’t get to Sin. Is there a way to move the bent arrow. It would be nice once the list comes up if I can tap one of the nodes from the list to select it.

PS. Something else I just found out. If I minimize Shade and go to another app then go back to Shade, the long press to bring up the menu doesn’t work.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I was watching a video of you and your son making a checkerboard with shade. I was trying to do it, but I couldn’t get a clear enough image to read it. Could you post a clearer picture of the screen showing everything to make the checkerboard. Some examples might help in playing with Shade since a lot of descriptions/reference aren’t done yet.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited July 2018 Posts: 8,566

@Simeon Nevermind about the checkerboard. I looked at the checkerboard shader in Codea and used that code to create a checkerboard in Shade. Here’s a picture of how it was done.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    @dave1707 nice one! We need to allow tap on the quick insert box. At the moment you can move the selection up and down with the arrow keys on a hardware Keyboard to choose which node to insert. Also the sort order is a bit arbitrary right now, we need to make it so that typing sin should match sin as the first result.

That’s really cool! I’ve been following on Twitter. I can’t wait to see it in the wild!

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon @John After a Shade is saved and then reopened, the grid doesn’t retain the size it was saved as. If I have a large grid that was reduced in size to fit the screen, it would be nice if the grid was the same size when the Shade is reopened instead of having to shrink it down again.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Once we build a Shade, what do we do with it. Or does that come later.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 we'd like to be able to make it so you can use them directly in Codea. The other export options would be straight GLSL and Unity 3D.

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@dave1707 I've been working on a number of improvements. New shaders how begin with the Surface node centred on the screen. Current canvas position and zoom are now saved, preview options and camera settings are also saved.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon @John Would this be possible. In the library list of nodes, show the input and output letters. That way you can see what each node is going to do. Run the code below to see what I mean for Parallax. Ignore the colors and shape, but look at the input and output letters. This might make it easier to see what a node does when just starting out until you become familiar with each node.

function setup()
        textMode(CORNER)    
    end

function draw()
        background(0)
        stroke(0, 255, 211, 255)
        strokeWidth(10)
        fill(251, 251, 251, 255)
        rect(100,400,150,150)
        fill(0, 183, 255, 255)
        text("Parallax",145,410)
        text("UV",115,515)
        text("H",115,495)
        text("A",115,475)
        text("UV",210,515)
        text("A",220,495)
    end

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon @John Here’s an annoyance. If I slide a node from the library to try something and then delete that node from the grid, the library closes. When I reopen the library, it starts at the beginning. I then have to scroll to where I left off. It would be nice once the library is opened, if it would reopen where it was when it closed instead of the beginning.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon @John There seems to be a problem when a Shade is saved and then reloaded. In my checkerboard example above, when I save it and then reload it, the x (multiply) is change to a + (plus). So the checkerboard shows as 8 lines. See the image below, I circled the problem.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 I'll work on fixing the library today, thanks for the great example

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon @John I was going to say that some of the errors I listed above were fixed, but I’m not sure now. I opened my checkerboard Shade and it looked like it saved everything correctly because when I reopened it, I had the checkerboard instead of lines. The multiply sign stayed instead of switching to the plus sign and the grid size stayed the correct size on the screen. But now, when I open the checkerboard Shade, it’s back to lines and the nodes are somewhere off the screen and I can’t find them. I tried scrolling the screen around, but they’re somewhere off the screen. So I’m not sure what’s happening now. I’ll probably just delete the checkerboard Shade and redo it. The tap on the quick insert box works.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon @John I deleted my checkerboard shader and recreated it. When I saved it and reopened it, everything was OK. The multiply that was changing to a plus stayed as multiply and the size of the grid remained the same. So those 2 problems appear to be fixed. But the problem of the nodes going off screen and not being able to find them was a problem. Maybe there can be something that can be tapped to center the Surface list on the screen.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,566

@Simeon @John I just opened my checkerboard Shader and the nodes are nowhere to be seen. I think it has something to do with rotating the screen because I was rotating the screen from portrait to landscape mode while the shader was opening. I guess I’ll delete it again and recreate it. I’ll play around with that to see if that's the real cause.

PS. I haven’t been able to force it to happen by rotating the screen. But it’s happened 2 times so far.

PS. After many tries, I still haven’t been able to get the nodes to disappear off the screen. At this point I don’t know if the nodes were off the screen, or just weren’t visible.

• JohnJohn Admin Mod
    Thanks for the extensive testing on this issue @dave1707. There might be a bug where the graph doesn’t show up initially. If this happens again try pressing the home button then opening the app again and let me know if it reappears. We will be adding a mini-map so that you cannot lose your graph
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

Here’s another Shade using the Microphone. Looks OK with the TV or music going. @John If the missing nodes happen again, I’ll try those steps.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 whistling at different pitches to that shader is pretty fun

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon @John This looks kind of neat while it’s running, but you probably want to see what this caused. See the left picture first, then the right one.

• JohnJohn Admin Mod
    Looks like I added an overload for reflect that doesn’t exist should be easy to fix.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 549

@simeon, @john - congrats, really nice guys!

i was playing with a planet Earth shader from here:
    https://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/earth-cycles

it works well for most of the maps, but when i try to drag and drop the bump map into Shade it crashes. I don’t know if that is a problem with Shade or the bump map itself.

i would prefer if the toggle options in the display panel were real toggle buttons which indicate if an option is active or not.

when i disactivate the ground plane my sphere is no longer centred, which is annoying. A two finger translation would be nice.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon @John I don’t know how this happened, but somehow I got Fract to overlay the Library list. I closed the Library list, but it stayed blank when I opened it again. I closed it, but Fract wouldn’t go away and I couldn’t move it around. I couldn’t get rid of Fract until I closed Shade. After I reopened Shade, everything was OK

Hi Guys,

Just an onlooker watching the frenzy. Been looking at the screens you have posted - can anyone tell me how you would create a scrolling 3D terrain using this tool. It's something I'd like to look into later - much later not much time now.

Shade just looks like wrapping UVs with a variety of effects at the moment - is that true?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G Right now I’m just playing with the different nodes to see what happens since there isn’t much documentation yet. As for a scrolling 3D Terrain, I would say it’s possible, but at the moment I don’t know enough about Shade to give you an idea of how to do it. I’m sure more nodes could be added as time goes on.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon @John Here another annoyance as I play more with Shade. I don’t like the continuation of the grid movement when I lift my finger. It seems like I can’t move the grid to where I want it because as soon as I lift my finger the grid keeps moving before it completely stops. Maybe the coasting would be OK on really large grids, but it going to be awhile before I get to really large grids. By the way, what’s the size of the grid.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@John The nodes disappeared again. I’m not sure what I was doing when they disappeared. This time I wasn’t rotating the screen. I pressed the home button and reopened Shade but the nodes were still gone. I scrolled around, but couldn’t find them.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@John Here’s another mystery. The nodes and image disappeared, but the connections and library list didn’t. When I closed the Shade and reopened it, only the image and library list was showing.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 sounds like what we need on the scrolling is a more lenient minimum velocity threshold so that you can slow down and lift your finger but still fling the canvas if you want to.

The disappearing nodes is bizarre, do they reappear ever for the shader files? Do they disappear often?

@Bri_G this is a tool you might use to build a surface for your scrolling terrain (e.g., you might make it so that you use the slope of the terrain to determine where to draw grass, rocks, etc). You could use the Offset parameter of the surface to displace a mesh to look like terrain, and scroll it, but the focus of this tool is on surface design. It's like the Shader Lab in Codea.

@dave1707, @Simeon - thanks for the feedback I'll keep an eye on this thread to follow developments. Too busy at moment with other issues so only following postings for the moment with Codea.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon That might be a good idea for the scrolling. It seems no matter how hard I try not to move my finger when I lift it, the image still scrolls. As for the missing nodes, I’ve never been able to get them back or find them if they’re way off the screen somewhere. That’s why I was suggesting a button or something to recenter the surface list. So far the nodes have disappeared 4 times and the only thing I can do is delete the Shade and start over.